Our 2017 financial goals

Our 2017 financial goals

Here our 2017 financial goals! I hope it’s not too late to share these 🙂

Sure, it’s a few weeks past New Years Day, but cut me some slack! We’ve been super busy over here because – surprise – we’re moving!

We’re just moving across the Bay so we can be much closer to work. Our commute times will be so much shorter and hopefully that means more time to spend with each other and on our passion projects *cough* this blog *cough*.

Anywho, enough about that. Here are our 2017 financial goals!

We're only focusing on four financial goals in 2017!

1. Move closer to work

Well, technically – we’ve already accomplished this! In fact, on the day that this post goes live, we will be moving all of our stuff in a U-haul van with some friends.

It did take some moving around of our money to pull off. But after almost a year of living more than an hour away from work, we decided it was worth it to move closer to work. Rent ain’t cheap – but we are at peace knowing that we’re paying for the convenience of living close to work. We’ll have a lot more time on our hands, and I think that alone is worth the money we will spend.

2. Replenish our starter emergency fund

We had to dip into our emergency fund recently to cover some family things. I feel so vulnerable not necessarily having anything right now in our emergency fund. But hopefully this will get done in the next paycheck or so. We just want to get our emergency fund back to $1,000.

3. Decrease our debt by 20%

We are in a ton of debt. Seriously. It’s not good. More on those numbers in a future post.

We know it’s not possible to pay it all off in one year. Especially since we’re paying to move much closer to work. But we do want to keep debt repayment a high priority for us. So as soon as our first two financial goals are taken care of, all of our extra money will be thrown at our debt. I assigned 20% as our 2017 goal. Hopefully it’ll be more than that, though!

4. Save for travel

This year is full of travel plans! Next month, we’re going to Rome to celebrate our anniversary. In July, we have 4 weddings to attend (maybe 5). We’re going to Hawaii in November for another wedding. These travel plans are so exciting! But if we don’t plan ahead, these travel plans can really reverse all the progress on the other three financial goals we have.

So, we are going to be putting money aside each money just for travel. I know that this money would probably do better if we targeted it all to debt, but I want to make sure that we spend only cash for all of these trips. What good is debt repayment if we have to finance our trips?

So there you have it – our 2017 financial goals. I’m keeping it simple this year. Four financial goals is totally doable. The less we have to focus on, the more damage we can do to each of our financial goals.

What are your financial goals this year?

AMDG,
Lisa

16 Comments

1. Dyana March 9, 2017

I just got my emergency savings to $1000 and it does feel good having that cushion to fall back on although I’m sure I may have to dip into it once or twice! I also wish to travel this year and I’m currently saving up for a Dallas trip! What are some ways that you save for your vacations? Good luck on your financial goals!
    Dyana recently posted…3 Ways to Kill Your Credit Card DebtMy Profile

• Lisa E. March 17, 2017

Awesome! I just got my emergency savings to $1000 and immediately after I breathed a sigh of relief 🙂 Saving for vacation is something we’re doing, too! It’s not fun, but what we do is we add up all the expenses we expect to spend and split it up by the number of months left until we leave. This gives us a monthly savings goal which can be further broken down by week. The further you breakdown this monthly > weekly > daily savings amount, the more doable it seems to us. Good luck!

2. TPOHappiness February 16, 2017

Dipping into emergency funds for emergency type things is never fun. Best of luck in getting that replenished ASAP!
    TPOHappiness recently posted…Money Doesn’t Buy Happiness, right?My Profile

3. femmefrugality February 2, 2017

Congrats on the move! Any chance it will save you some commuting costs? Either way, I’d be happy about it, too.

Love all of your other goals, too. Debt payoff is always a good thing, as are emergency funds, and travel is a great investment if you can afford it IMHO. I hope Rome is amazing and that you guys are settling in well!
    femmefrugality recently posted…Cheap and Free Tax Preparation OptionsMy Profile

4. Jennifer Connolly January 30, 2017

My husband and I have just started getting really serious about paying down our debt and we went to Europe in November (paid with cash not credit). Yes we could have put that money on our debt but I do not regret it at all. It was a trip of a lifetime and is what keeps me going is the thought of taking another trip like that when we have paid off all this debt. Good Luck with your 2017 goals!
    Jennifer Connolly recently posted…Planning aheadMy Profile

• Lisa E. January 30, 2017

I love that you don’t regret the trip! Good luck with paying off your debt, too! 🙂

5. Steve from Arkansas January 29, 2017

An overseas trip to celebrate your anniversary at the same time you are “swimming” in debt? A move to a new more expensive apartment although you don’t even have a minimal emergency fund? Your plan is a little too risky for uber conservative me, But you write well and have great goals and I bet you pull it off. The cool thing is you have a plan, that alone sets you apart as a likely winner!

• Lisa E. January 30, 2017

I agree, it is pretty risky and probably not the best idea to travel while in debt. But I don’t want to completely eliminate travel while paying off debt. I think it’s all about balance and having a plan. As long as I’m not ignoring the debt or going further into debt, then I think I’m doing alright for now. Thanks for stopping by Steve!

6. Katy January 26, 2017

Hey Lisa, I am a new reader! Thanks for posting your goals. Some of our goals: Payoff the last $3,000 of our car loan. Pay off the last of my husbands student loans. I am starting a new job after finishing my masters,I will be making significantly more money, and we won’t be paying for school. But we still need to come up with a plan to make sure we meet these goals!

• Lisa E. January 27, 2017

Thanks Katy and welcome 🙂 Good luck on the new job and debt payoff, you got this!

7. Erika B. January 26, 2017

I laid out my goals for 2017 and they are too pay off all credit card debt by hears end, save $2k emergency fund, and contribute to sinking funds for my dog, car repairs, birthdays and vacation. Your goals are great! Keep up the good work

• Lisa E. January 27, 2017

Awesome! Being credit card debt free at the end of the year sounds amazing!

8. NZ Muse January 22, 2017

Hit $100k net worth and do (fund) kitchen renos!

Hope your move goes well!

• Lisa E. January 24, 2017

Ooh $100k! Total #goals – you got this!

9. Tonya@Budget and the Beach January 22, 2017

I think sometimes it can be worth it to move closer to work. Hopefully it’s not too much more. Did you sell your place, because you owned, yes? Did you buy a place. Good luck with the debt!
    Tonya@Budget and the Beach recently posted…An Interview With Myself About Financial IndependenceMy Profile

• Lisa E. January 24, 2017

We didn’t sell the place – my mom, brother, and auntie are still living there. Essentially, I’m now their landlord. And we are now renting this new place. Thanks Tonya!