Links Lisa Likes – Mo’ Money, Mo’ Problems (Minus the Mo’ Money Part)

Lately, I have been dealing with a couple of little money problems. Nothing major, just annoying!

For example, a couple of weeks ago, my friends and I tried this place in Berkeley called Pizza Moda. Delicious pizza, I must say! But a few days later, I found that the restaurant charged me twice! I wanted to call the restaurant as soon as I saw the error, but they’re only open in the evenings while I’m either a) working overtime or b) commuting home.

Instead, I disputed the charge online with my bank Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct). Initially, they wanted me to sign a form before they disputed the charge, but before I could print out that form, they already settled it and Pizza Moda sent my money back the next day!

Unfortunately, since I run a mostly zero-based budget, my checking account was super low at that point and I had to transfer a little bit of money from my emergency fund into my checking to cover those few days. It’s little instances like these that make me super relieved that I have an emergency fund in the first place!

The other annoying issue I’ve had to deal with lately was with my Clipper Card. For those who don’t know, Clipper Card is “a reloadable contactless smart card used for electronic transit fare payment in the San Francisco Bay Area. (thanks Wikipedia)

As for as “reloadable” goes, the automatic reload function hasn’t been working for me for the past few months. I’ve called a couple times already, and each customer service person kept telling me to wait a few days. It wasn’t until I called this past week when someone finally realized there was an error on their part and that my automatic reload would be working the next day. Thank God, because I was tired of having to load my card with actual cash, which is a hassle with the old “add value” machines BART still has, instead of having it automatically withdrawn.

Again, nothing major. Just little, annoying problems that I’m glad are gone!

Last Week on LvL

Last week’s Links Lisa Likes – Board Game Night was all about my current favorite, frugal past time. Don’t miss last weeks fave links, too!

Kendrick Lamar is taking over the hip hop scene and also making bold money statements. Find out all about What Kendrick Lamar Can Teach Us About Money.

This Week’s LLL

Add the Sexy Back to Your Money at Any Stage of Finances – [Frugal Confessions]
Fun ways to make your finances not only fun, but also sexy!

Betting on Yourself – [Done by Forty]
Would you have the guts to go all-in on yourself?

Do You Complain About Things You Can Avoid? – [First Quarter Finance]
It’s so much easier for people to complain than it is to take action.

Proof Banks Caused The Financial Crash: The Cancer Of MORE - [Financial Samurai]
It’s so funny to me when people think you’re up to no good when you’re satisfied with less!

Your Emergency Savings Is A Multi-Layered Beast. Why It’s Not Just About Money – [The Shop My Closet Project]
Michelle is right – there’s much more to emergency preparedness than having an emergency fund!

Hope y’all had a wonderful weekend!

AMDG,
Lisa

18 Comments

1. No Nonsense Landlord July 5, 2014

You definitely have to watch all charges closely. computer mistakes (and human error) happen all the time. Great catch.
    No Nonsense Landlord recently posted…Shout Out and Thanks to Fellow BloggersMy Profile

2. Michelle July 2, 2014

Did you change the look of your blog recently? I love it!
    Michelle recently posted…Rebranding Myself At My Long-Term Job-Why Do I Bother?My Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

I did! It’s a work in progress, my friend designed my banner!

3. Alicia July 2, 2014

Ack, I hate disputing charges, but I’m so glad you found it! Also, I get super annoyed when technology doesn’t work how it should.
    Alicia recently posted…Detrimental Money Accumulation.My Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

Haha right – isn’t technology supposed to make our lives easier?

4. Thank goodness you checked your statement and caught the double charge. I once bought something that was $1k and got double charged, imagine had I not caught THAT!
    Stefanie @ The Broke and Beautiful Life recently posted…Thank You For Your SuccessMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

OMG double charged for $1K??? That is such a huge mistake, I don’t get why businesses don’t catch that!

5. Jessica Moorhouse July 1, 2014

Glad that restaurant bill was resolved! That’s happened to me and even if it’s just $20 it’s still annoying to have to deal with.
    Jessica Moorhouse recently posted…Moving to Toronto: The First YearMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

Exactly – it wasn’t exactly expensive, it’s just annoying!

6. Michelle July 1, 2014

I can see how that can get frustrating. Good thing you noticed that they double charged.
    Michelle recently posted…June 2014 : Month-End RecapMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

It was frustrating – so annoying!

7. Holly@ClubThrifty July 1, 2014

I was double-charged for a dinner in Jamaica once and didn’t realize it until I got home. Fortunately, my Chase card took care of it and disputed it. It made me mad!
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…The Secret Way to Save Money on Fireworks This YearMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

Good thing Chase caught it and took care of it!

8. Ugh I hate this little money annoyances. It seems they always come in waves and then it’s a bunch at a time. :(
    Tonya@Budget and the Beach recently posted…Workin’ on Stress-Free Living, & Giveaway!My Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

It does seem like these little problems all come together. I feel like if I had to deal with them one by one, it wouldn’t be a big deal!

9. Those problems were really annoying! I had experienced that before about the ClipperCard. Thanks for sharing your story. And I am glad those problems were gone. :)

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

I wish Clipper Card was easier to deal with!