What Kendrick Lamar Can Teach Us About Money

If you don’t know who Kendrick Lamar is…

kendrick

kendrick benz

Okay, seriously – Kendrick Lamar, or K.Dot, is a big name in hip hop right now. In fact, he was named “Rapper of the Year” by GQ in 2013.

He’s not afraid to go against the stereotypical rap lifestyle. Recently I read an article entitled “Kendrick Lamar House — Rapper Drops Totally Reasonable $524,000 On Un-Rappiest Crib in California“, reports on the rapper’s choice to buy a relatively normal house compared to the mansions of over-the-top extravagance his peers usually go for.

This guy is arguably one of the best rappers out there right now. There’s no doubt that this guy makes a ton of money. But instead of spending it all on a huge mansion in the middle of LA, he chose a reasonable 4 bedroom house an hour outside of LA.

So what does this rapper’s real estate choices have to do with you and what else can Kendrick teach us about money?

Brand Names Don’t Mean Much

In A$AP Rocky’s song “F**kin’ Problems” featuring 2 Chainz, Drake, and Kendrick Lamar, K.Dot spits out the words you see in the above gifs:

Girl, I’m Kendrick Lamar
A.K.A Benz-is-to-me-just-a-car

Some say that this line is him showing off that he can afford a Mercedes Benz like it’s nothing. Personally, I think he’s saying something quite different. Driving around in a Benz is showy, flashy, and usually a sign of wealth. But K.Dot says that doesn’t matter – a car is a car. Essentially, a Benz gets you from Point A to Point B just as good as any other car could. Although it’s true that some high-end brands are worth the splurge because of higher quality, most of the time you’re paying for the label when you choose brand names.

Be Satisfied With “Enough”

Kendrick Lamar is worth about $10 million, yet he stayed conservative and bought a modest house – relative to his rap peers, of course. In fact, with a $524,000 price tag, he could have easily afforded 10 times that house and still have a lot of money left over!

We may never make it to a $10 million net worth, let alone $1 million (though that doesn’t stop me from trying). But there’s no doubt that we work hard for our money. Once we see that money in our hands, it’s so natural to want to go out and spend it all! We deserve to, right? If Kendrick could afford a million-dollar home, why didn’t he buy one?

Well, just because we can afford something doesn’t mean we should buy it. Kendrick could have bought any house/mansion he wanted to, but instead he chose something more conservative. Not just to make a statement, but also because he probably felt that this “modest” property was just enough for him.

Even if you’re not a rap fan, Kendrick Lamar is just one of those people you can’t ignore. His choice to purchase a reasonable home has made a statement on today’s rap and youth culture, and I hope it doesn’t go unnoticed.

What do you think? Think K.Dot made a smart decision, or do you think he could have splurged a little bit?

AMDG,
Lisa

28 Comments

1. Taylor July 8, 2014

Thanks for clearing up that lyric – I HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS SAYING. LOL. I didn’t know that he was a member of the frugal squad. I do always really admire his acceptance speeches. So inspiring and down to earth. I have to do more research on him.
    Taylor recently posted…What’s the Emergency in Emergency Savings for African Americans?My Profile

• Lisa E. July 12, 2014

LOL yeah he raps super fast, I’m surprised I actually caught what he was saying!

2. Jason @ Phroogal June 29, 2014

I haven’t heard of him but then again I don’t listen to music on the radio unless someone sends me to it. I really think it’s great when singers talk about a lifestyle other than buying stuff or how life is only valued by how much things cost.
    Jason @ Phroogal recently posted…Celebrities Are Phroogal TooMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Agreed – it shows a totally different side of that sort of lifestyle.

3. Michelle June 29, 2014

I get so sick and tired of reading about super wealthy people (ahtletes/entertainers/etc) who go bankrupt. I love reading about someone who uses financial common sense! If his career tanks at least he’ll have something to show for it(I hope it doesn’). Good for him.
    Michelle recently posted…It’s Not A World Cup Party Until The Americans Start Twerking!My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

I get so tired of those stories, too! Like, you had so much money at one point – why did you ruin it with your selfishness???

4. Krista June 29, 2014

Thanks for combining two of my favorite things – financial savvy and rap music. Who knew it could be done. The statement of simplicity is so much louder coming from someone in his world.
    Krista recently posted…The One Year Savings Challenge – Will You Join?My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Yes! I hope his statement sends waves through the rap/hip-hop culture.

5. anna June 27, 2014

Sadly I’m out of the loop and don’t really know him, but that’s impressive that he chose a reasonably priced house (well, in Cali terms at least). It always makes me smile when celebrities have some frugal qualities about them, like when they coupon or shop for bargains.
    anna recently posted…Almost July Updates – The “Padawan” Edition!My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

I love it when celebs are spotted in the dollar section at stores! Haha.

6. That song was awesome! I just heard about it because of your post. He is truly an inspiration to everyone. I never thought there is still one celebrity that live a simple and humble life.

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

He is definitely an inspiration!

7. T.P. June 26, 2014

Mark Aquino is a rapper. I hear he’s gonna buy a Benz soon. <3

8. Holly@ClubThrifty June 26, 2014

I’ve never heard of him but that isn’t surprising since I’m old and lame!

I think it’s great he bought a $500K house. The money won’t last forever! Many people in entertainment find that out the hard way.
    Holly@ClubThrifty recently posted…My Worst Money MistakesMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Agreed – so many people splurge on a huge mansion and years later, it catches up to them in the form of bankruptcy.

9. I think it’s awesome that this guy is standing out and setting an example to his peers and to the rest of the world that stuff really doesn’t matter. If he keeps on this track, he’ll be real glad when he’s 40 and still has cash, unlike so many who end up losing everything. Thanks for a great story, Lisa!
    Laurie @thefrugalfarmer recently posted…How to Deal With CriticismMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Seeing a rich celebrity setting the example of not spending it all at once is so great!

10. I love that song by Kendrick Lamar! I think that is awesome he bought a “cheap” house like that — and actually that is cheap for the LA area. It’s nice when celebrities can show you a different lifestyle and also be responsible with money.
    Melanie @ My Alternate Life recently posted…My Financial VicesMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

He’s setting such a great example!

11. save. spend. splurge. June 25, 2014

I like that he’s not like the other rappers — half a million is a lot of money, but not compared to what people normally buy!
    save. spend. splurge. recently posted…Living cruelty-free — is it really possible or just a pipe dream?My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Half a million is still a lot, but compared to all the other rappers out there, it’s nothing!

12. Sicorra June 25, 2014

So often we see celebrities like Candy Spelling who live in giant mansions and appear to be spending like there is no tomorrow. But then there are other rich people, that at first glance, you have no idea they are rich. They drive older cars, live in average size homes and typically their neighbours do not even know how rich they truly are. Those people are wise when it comes to the value of a dollar.
    Sicorra recently posted…Five Ways to Start Eliminating Your DebtMy Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

Agreed. The BF is a teller and he tells me the richest people come in wearing the same, old and torn outfits while those who are dressed all showy and flashy have the least amount of money in their accounts.

13. Simon Cave June 25, 2014

I think there is nothing wrong with driving a luxury car or living in a huge house. We all deserve the best things, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
    Simon Cave recently posted…6 Reasons Why It Rocks to Build an Online Business – You are going to Love the Last one!My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

If you can afford it, then go for it!

14. E.M. June 25, 2014

I think it’s great when celebrities choose not to go crazy on purchases, especially houses. I just can’t imagine having a mansion all to myself. I guess they’re useful for parties, but with that much money, can’t you just rent a place out? I haven’t heard of him, but I also don’t follow hip hop =). He sounds like a promising influence! I get so sick of hearing songs about buying expensive things or being able to afford so much. Time for a change!
    E.M. recently posted…Do You Learn Lessons the Hard Way?My Profile

• Lisa E. July 5, 2014

I love it when celebrities go the unconventional route – it sets such a good example!